Thursday, July 8, 2010

Losing is for Losers

Good luck to all Evo 2010 participants! This is from the September 2009 issue of Harper's Magazine.

From a March email by Michael Kinahan, coach of a soccer team for girls aged seven and under in Sciuate, Massachusetts, to the children's parents. After parents complained to league officials, Kinahan resigned, saying in his resignation letter that the email was meant to be "a satire of those who take youth sports too seriously for the wrong reasons." The email was obtained by the Patriot Ledger.

Congratulations on being selected for Team 7 (forest-green shirts) of the Scituate Soccer Club! My name is Michael, and I have been fortunate enough to be selected to coach what I know will be a wonderful group of young ladies.

Okay, here’s the real deal: Team 7 will be called Green Death. We will only acknowledge “Team 7” for scheduling and disciplinary purposes. Green Death is not a team but a family (some say cult) that you belong to forever. We play fair at all times, but we play tough and physical soccer. We have some returning players who know the deal; for the others, I only expect 110 percent at every game and practice. We do not cater to superstars but prefer the gritty determination of journeymen who bring their lunch pail to work every week, chase every ball, and dig in corners like a Michael Vick pit bull.

Some say soccer at this age is about fun, and I completely agree. I believe, however, that winning is fun and losing is for losers. Ergo, we will strive for the W in each game. Although we may not win every game (excuse me, I just got a little nauseous), I expect us to fight for every loose ball and play every shift as if it were the finals of the World Cup. As I spent a good Saturday morning listening to the legal-liability BS, which included a thirty-minute dissertation on how we need to baby the kids and especially the refs, I was disgusted. The kids will run, they will fall, get bumps, bruises, even bleed a little. Big deal; it’s good for them (but I do hope the other team is the one bleeding). If the refs can’t handle a little criticism, then they should turn in their whistles. My heckling of the refs is actually helps them develop as people. The political-correctness police are not welcome on my sidelines. America’s youth are becoming fat, lazy, and noncompetitive because competition is viewed as “bad." I argue that competition is crucial to the evolution of our species and our survival in what has become an increasingly competitive global economy and dangerous world. Second-place trophies are nothing to be proud of. They serve only as a reminder that you missed your goal; their only purpose is as an inspiration to do that next set of reps. Don’t animals eat what they kill? (And yes, someone actually kills the meat we eat too — it isn’t grown in plastic wrap.) And speaking of meat, I expect that the ladies be put on a diet of fish, undercooked red meat, and lots of veggies. No junk food. Protein shakes are encouraged, and while blood doping and HGH use is frowned upon, there is no testing policy. And at the risk of stating the obvious, blue slushies are for winners.

These are my views and not necessarily the views of the league (but they should be). I recognize that my school of thought may be an ideological shift from conventional norms. But it is imperative that we all fight the good fight, get involved now, and resist the urge to become sweatxedo-wearing yuppies who sit on the sidelines in their L.L. Bean chairs sipping mocha-latte-half-caf-accinos while discussing reality TV and home decorating with other feeble-minded folks. I want to hear cheering, I want to hear encouragement, I want to get the team pumped up at each and every game and know they are playing for something.

We are all cognizant of the soft bigotry that expects women, and especially little girls, to be dainty and submissive; I wholeheartedly reject such drivel. My overarching goal is develop ladies who are confident and fearless, who will stand up for their beliefs and challenge the status quo. Girls who will kick ass and take names on the field, off the field, and throughout their lives. I want these girls to be winners in the game of life. Who’s with me?

Go Green Death!

2 comments:

  1. I love both soccer and ST. Great games. As for the text, I will assume the coach was not joking and he meant it. It creates a problem that fighting games do not have, which is bad players wanting to win. Now wait a minute, I suck at ST and I do my best, but that's not what I mean. What I want to say is being bad at the game but willing to do everything you can to win in a videogame is different than in a contact sport like soccer. The game does not cheat if the bad player wants, not you can get handicapped somehow. Supposedly, you can not kick the enemy in the shins, or hit them hard with the elbow. For amateur soccer, I wish the bad players would consider it enough to just play it and accept they are probably losing, cos having to either physically attack others or be willing to do so in order to simply ensure basic rule enforcement sucks.

    All in all, congrats to Snake Eyes for having fun, and DGV, even is he is just another loser. :)

    -og_br

    ReplyDelete
  2. It creates a problem that fighting games do not have, which is bad players wanting to win.

    For the boys in orange you might be right. For the girls in green I think the issue was their fathers wanting them to win.

    I got up to get a drink and missed the Afro Legends match. Blah.

    ReplyDelete